Villages are an integral part of Minecraft. I have to say that exploring a new world and finding (read pillaging/looting) a village is even more fun than mining. What’s more exciting than that, though, is trading with the villagers. So, why don’t we take a look at how to trade with a Villager in Minecraft? Plus, let’s find out what are the best trades for every profession.
What Types of Villagers Are There in Minecraft
In total, there are 15 different jobs a villager can have, as we’ll see below. You can distinguish the type of villager you come across by what they’re wearing, regardless of where the village is located.
Here’s a quick list of all the villager types and their professions:
How to Trade With a Villager
Choosing a Trade
Trading with a villager is pretty straightforward. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to trade with a villager in Minecraft.
- You’ll need to locate a village and find the villager with your desired profession.
- Approach them and simply right-click on them. You should see the menu shown above.
- Check out the trades on the left. You can click on whichever you like or manually add your offerings on the left box.
- Click on the villager’s offerings and drag them to your inventory. You’ve just made your first trade with a villager!
Once you trade a few times with a villager, they’ll level up and provide you with more lucrative trades.
Pro Tip: If you’ve got great gear, consider having a raid at your nearest village. If you successfully defend the village, you’ll get a considerable discount on every trade. Plus, you’ll get to see a firework display from the villagers.
The Best Trades for Every Villager Profession
Alas, there are so many professions in Minecraft, taking the total trades up to the hundreds. So, why don’t we find out which trades are the best?
- Armorer: 15 Coal for 1 Emerald/any Emeralds for Enchanted Diamond Armor trade
- Librarian: 4 Books for 1 Emerald/any Emeralds and Book for Enchanted Book trade (Mending is the best one)
- Cleric: 3 Gold Ingots for 1 Emerald/3 Emeralds for 1 Bottle o’ Enchanting
- Cartographer: 11 Glass Pane for 1 Emerald/14 Emeralds and 1 Compass for Woodland Explorer Map (best way to find a Woodland Mansion)
- Leatherworker: 26 Flint for 1 Emerald/6 Emeralds for 1 Saddle
- Fletcher: 32 Sticks for 1 Emerald/2 Emeralds and 5 Arrows for 5 Tipped Arrows
- Fisherman: 1 Boat for 1 Emerald/8-22 Emeralds for 1 Enchanted Fishing Rod
- Farmer: 20 Wheat for 1 Emerald/3 Emeralds for 3 Golden Carrots
- Shepherd: (Any) 12 Dyes for 1 Emerald/2 Emeralds for 3 Paintings
- Butcher: 10 Sweet Berries for 1 Emerald/1 Emerald for 5 Porkchops
- Toolsmith: 15 Coal for 1 Emerald/18-32 Emeralds for Enchanted Diamond Pickaxe
- Weaponsmith: 24 Flint for 1 Emerald/13-27 Emeralds for Enchanted Diamond Sword
- Mason: 10 Clay balls for 1 Emerald/1 Emerald for 4 Chiseled Stone Bricks
And this is how fun it is to trade with a villager in Minecraft. How many Mending books have you managed to get from a Librarian after you successfully defended the village from a raid? Be sure to let us know over on the Minecraft Forum!